The Q&A Archives: Planting Annuals in Containers

Question: This is my first try at gardening. I am planning a container garden for my deck. I am planting mostly annuals ranging in height from 4-24"(examples: violas, marigolds, zinnias, lavender

Answer: When I do container gardening, I want a mass of plants and flowers so I place the plants closer together and more than one plant to a pot. However, remember that the pot should be in proportion to the heighth of the plant. A 8 inch pot would be out of proportion to a plant 18-24 inches tall. In addition, it would not be big enough for the root ball. Let the diameter of the pot be at least 1/3 the heighth of the plant, unless you are growing vining plants...then the pot should be about an inch biggerthan the root ball. If you are going to sow the seeds in the pot in which they will remain, sow more than you want and thin out the weaker ones (not all seeds are created equal). Have fun!