The Q&A Archives: Hydrangeas

Question: About 2005 I purchased a Kaleidoscope Series Homigo Hydrangea from Home Depot in Aurora, Illinois. Since that time, even though I have protected it for the winter with a burlap

Answer: Lack of sufficient sunshine can keep hydrangeas from producing flower buds but I think there is a more serious issue here. Kaleidoscope Series Homigo Hydrangea is a macrophylla (big leaf hydrangea). These plants produce flowers on new growth that develops on old wood. If your plant regularly dies down to ground level each winter it will never have any old wood from which new flower shoots can develop. Since you are not getting any new growth on the old stems, and only new growth from the crown of the plant, I suspect this is what is causing the non-blooming. In Illinois there is really no way to adequately protect the wood during the winter months so if your hydrangea ever flowers it will be because you had an extremely warm winter. Wish I had better news for you!