The Q&A Archives: Violets

Question: I have unwanted violets among flowers. How can I get rid of them? They are taking over and spreading into the lawn area. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Answer: Wild violets are difficult to control unless you dig them out of the soil, roots and all. These pesky plants grow from bulbs which are huge storage organs. Even if you kill the tops off or pull them out, the bulbs will have enough stored energy to send up new stems and leaves. If you keep cutting them off at soil level, never allowing them to develop leaves you can eventually starve the plants out, but one single leaf can help restore the bulb so you have to be really diligent about it. I would just dig the nasty plants out and be rid of them once and for all!