The Q&A Archives: Blue spreading weed in my lawn

Question: What ever this blue spreading weed is, possiblly buggle weed a friend told me, is taking over my lawn. Last year I used weed killed for dandellions and crab grass on the lawn with success. What can I about my sea of blue?

Answer: If you are dealing with ajuga (carpet bugle) you have a fight on your hands. These plants creep by both above and underground stems and the only way to really eradicate them is to dig them out roots and all. Broadleaf weed killers will kill the tops but not the roots. A vegetation killer such as Round Up will kill the plants because it is translocated down to the roots, but Round Up will kill everything else it touches, as well. It may be the only way to completely eliminate the ajuga if you're not able to hand dig the weeds, roots and all.

Today's site banner is by Lestv and is called "Butterfly on Spider Lily"