The Q&A Archives: General Information on Honeysuckle

Question: I would like to know what you can use the liquid inside the flower for. I would also like to know various uses for the plant and any part of it.

Answer: The nectar inside the flowers of honeysuckle is a high-energy sugary food that insects get as a reward for visiting the plant. When insects visit to take a drink, they pick up pollen grains on their bodies when they reach way into the flower. Then when they visit another flower, some of the pollen grains fall off their wings and legs and fall into the flower, which helps pollinate that flower. You can pick a honeysuckle flower, break off the green part and suck out the sugary nectar! Honeysuckle plants are ornamental, and have no food uses for humans.