The Q&A Archives: ground covers

Question: I have a large flower garden with trees and bushes in the front yard where I also have some ground covers planted. There is one ground cover that is trying to take over the entire garden and I am wondrering if there is a way I can contain it or if I just need to get rid of it. I think it is called

Answer: It sounds like creeping jenny (Lysimachia nummularia) and it can become invasive if not controlled. I grow it in my garden and every few weeks I go out and inspect it, pulling up any runners that have escaped the area and pruning the stems back by 6-8 inches if they threaten to move out of their designated area. As long as you are diligent in containing it, creeping jenny can be a really nice groundcover plant.