The Q&A Archives: Rose bush

Question: Can I plant roses in plant pot and if so what kind of roses and how big or deep the pot should be? I live in chicago so I need something that works with the weather.

Answer: Some of the best roses for the Chicago area are David Austin's English roses. They are more disease resistant than other roses and so far I have been quite happy with the results. I have Graham Thomas, Heritage and Sharifa Asma. Graham Thomas is not fragrant but very heat tolerant. Heritage and Sharifa Asma are very fragrant. Planting roses in a container probably won't work in your cold winter region - the roots will be exposed to the elements and will freeze solid. If you can plant in the ground, or sink the pots into the ground in the winter, then mulch over the plants with straw or pine boughs, they may make it. Otherwise, I'd plant them directly into the ground.