The Q&A Archives: Can I save this Persimmon tree?

Question: Last week I bought a Persimmon tree in good conditions, doing good in the pot. I transplanted it and the rain came and the ground became a mud hole today is four days later still wet and the leaves are not yellow but folded in the middle. Shall I remove it and change location? or improve dirt quality in that spot? Please help

Answer: The roots of your tree can suffocate if the soil remains soggy so you may want to dig the tree out and either find a higher, drier planting spot or amend the soil with organic matter so it drains quickly. You might even want to plant your persimmon in a raised bed to make sure the soil drains well. Whatever you decide to do, I would still recommend digging the tree out now before the roots drown!