The Q&A Archives: Perennials

Question: I purchased a perennial last year at home depot. It is not coming up yet this year and in talking to my mother-in-law some perennials are annuals in certain zones. I have already purchased different ones this year and planted them. Why would the home depot in my area/zone sell perennials that will not come back. They should be selling them as annuals then. How can I tell when shopping??

Answer: Some perennials are hardier than others and if tender should planted in protected sites so they will return year after year. Most plants are labeled with a gardening zone. Your best bet is to choose plants which are hardier to a lower zone than your zone 5. Check the labels and they will note how hardy the plants are. Sorry you've been having difficulty with your perennials!