The Q&A Archives: Grass that turns brown

Question: I have a section of my yard that needs allot of water to stay green. It has fertilzer and all the goodies. When it gets watered it greens up and then a few days later it's brown again. What can I do

Answer: It sounds to me as though the soil is compacted in that area and can be improved by the addition of organic matter. You can rent an aerator to go over the area. A core aerator will remove one inch by three inch plugs from the lawn. Leave the plugs on the lawn and they will dissolve in rain or water from the sprinklers. After aerating spread a thin layer of sand or compost over the area and water it in well. The sand or compost plus the soil from the plugs will work their way down into the holes left by the plugs. You can then overseed and once the grass is up it should remain as green as the rest of your lawn.