The Q&A Archives: Bald Spot(s)

Question: I have two bald spots in my lawn. On one side, Scott's turfbuilder recovers it every summer. On the other side, nothing works. There are some roots from a tree that's been recently cut down, and moss toward the far side. However, there is still PLENTY of brown where the is no actual roots or moss. I'm not familiar enough with other products to know what's worth the $$$.

Answer: I wonder if the soil is compacted and the roots cannot penetrate the soil deeply enough to be reasonably drought tolerant? I think it's worth the time and effort to aerate those areas. A core aerator will remove one inch by three inch plugs from the lawn. Leave the plugs on the lawn and they will dissolve in rain or water from the sprinklers. After aerating spread a thin layer of sand or compost over the area and water it in well. The sand or compost plus the soil from the plugs will work their way down into the holes left by the plugs. You can then overseed and the new grass should remain as green as the rest of your turf. Best wishes with your lawn!