The Q&A Archives: dollar spot fungus

Question: Every year for the past 22 years the fungus dollar spot invades my lawn especially in the sunny area. The first sign appears around the third week of May. By mid June my lawn looks horrible. I have used fungus control products (scotts and bayer), it does help but it still looks bad. I put alot of time with my lawn. Fertilize 3 or 4 times a year. In the early spring my lawn looks great. Any advice

Answer: If you have tried absolutely everything, including repeated chemical controls, I think it is time to have the turf problem looked at by the plant pathologists at Coos County Cooperative Extension office (629A Main Street, Lancaster, NH 03584-9612, Phone: 603-788-4961, Fax: 603-788-3629).

You may be able to mail in a sample for diagnosis. Once the problem has been positively identified you will be given suggestions for treatment/control. Best wishes with your lawn!