The Q&A Archives: Planting Tulips, Freesias,

Question: Since it is February - is it too late to plant tulips? Also, (on a month-by-month basis) what vegetables should be planted when? I've ordered (and started indoors) a lot of seeds - but I want to know when is it best to plant them. And one more thing...I planted Freesia bulbs that I thought would wait a few months to sprout - but the leaves have come up and now it's starting to look "poopy" and limp. What's going on? They are in a large deep planter box and I used bulb booster and fertilizer. Thanks - this is great service...I just moved from Ohio to SC and it's a BIG climate adjustment. Debbie Krimm Charleston, SC

Answer: Your growing season(s) are from mid-February to June and Mid-September to December. July and August are too hot for plant growth. Tulips need a period (12 weeks) of cold temperatures below 50 degrees F. for root tulips are not going to do well where you live (zone 9). If you are determined to grow them, pop them in the fridge for 12 weeks and then plant them. Now is the time to start planting your seedlings! You also have from mid September to December to grow another whole crop of veggies!! Great Fun! Freesias are hardy in zones 9-10. Plant them in a sunny location in the garden, or one with light shade during midday. Plant them in fall (mid to late September) spacing them 2-4 inches apart and cover with 2 inches of soil. Feed monthly from the time the plant emerges until the buds take on color with a dusting of 5-10-5 fertilizer. Did you plant them too deep? If so, they've been struggling to make it to the surface and have used up all their energy.