The Q&A Archives: Fucshia

Question: How do I care for this plant? I just bought it at Home Depot it is in bloom, can I transplant it now? What kind of feeding?

Answer: I'm afraid your fuchsia will be short lived. Fuchsias are beautiful plants but they like cool temperatures and more humidity than your southwest desert can provide. You may be able to grow it indoors during the hottest months of the year than then take it back outdoors in the fall through the spring months. Fuchsias like moist but well draining soils and appreciate a half strength dilution of water soluable fertilizer (such as Miracle Gro) every 3-4 weeks. Pinch off the flowers when they are spent to promote lots of new flowering stems. Keep it in a container or hanging basket so you can take it indoors from June through September. Enjoy your fuchsia!