The Q&A Archives: Growing Ginger

Question: I would like to grow my own ginger. What conditions does it like and can I just plant the root I buy in the grocery store? Can I propgate more photinia from cuttings from my plants. Kevin Keith Petaluma, CA

Answer: You CAN grow your own ginger. Start with a piece of root from the grocery store...not the biggest piece just a couple of inches is fine. Plant with the top just below the surface of the soil in an azalea pot. Leave room for spread. Moisten but do not soak the soil and put the pot in a warm closet until shoots appear. Then it can be put in the best light you have. The growth will resemble a long leafed grass. If the leafy growth is healthy, the tuber will start to spread and well eventually fill the pot. At that point, you can remove the root and use it or cut off a small piece for regrowth and use the rest. Give the plant high nitrogen fertilizer and keep it moist when the light is good and a little on the dry side when it is not good. Temperatures over 65 degrees F and high humidity encourage growth. You can propagate your photinia. The Chinese Photinia can be propagated from semi-hardwood cuttings..use bottom heat. Fraser Photinia can be propagated from greenwood cuttings taken in summer...use a quick alcohol dip. Oriental Photinia can be propagated using softwood, semi-hardwood, or hardwood cuttings. Softwood cuttings taken in July using 1000 ppm IBA stuck in peat and perlite under mist has been proven successful.