The Q&A Archives: killing "Walking Stick" stump

Question: Hello,
I have a dead Walking Stick shrub and need to remove it from its spot. Will I need a stump killer? If so, how long might it take to have and effect? The shrub was about 10-12 feet tall.

Answer: I think you can dig the plant out, roots and all without resorting to stump killers. They take eons to work and in the meantime it will be hard to plant anything in the area. Plus, if the roots are still alive they will send suckers up. So, dig the roots out and you'll be rid of any future problems. Expect the roots to be in the top 12-18 inches of soil and out as far as the dripline of the plant. Start digging there and dig down and towards the center of the plant. You'll eventually get underneath the root mass and you can pry it up.