The Q&A Archives: Rose Bush

Question: I would like to know if I can move a 4 year old rose bush from one place in my garden to another place?

Answer: You can move your rose this spring or late next fall. Roses can be difficult to transplant because they have big, deep, root systems. Take as much of the roots as you possibly can. Trim it back if necessary to compensate for lost roots. Replant immediately at the same depth as it is growing now. Water thoroughly to settle the soil and eliminate air pockets. Then mulch generously with an organic mulch. Water as needed to supplement rain to keep the soil evenly moist like a wrung out sponge just as you would for any newly planted rose. Wait until mid-summer to fertilize it. Good luck with the move!