The Q&A Archives: Poinsettia

Question: I live in Venice, FL. Where do I plant the poinsettia I received for Christmas and how much do I cut it back and when?

Answer: Christmas poinsettia can be removed from its container and planted outdoors as soon as danger of frost is past. Backfill the hole with enough soil so the plant will sit in the hole at the same depth as it was growing in the container. Water thoroughly while planting to remove air pockets. Mulch around plant with organic materials to conserve moisture and help control weeds. You can cut it back now, leaving 4-6 inches of the stem on each branch. Pinch through out the summer to encourage branching but stop pinching by the first of September. Your poinsettia should bloom for you in December.