The Q&A Archives: Browning on Juniper Bonsai

Question: I have a bonsai (juniper) tree. For the last two weeks, it has started browning from the top of the tree down. It is only browning in spots. For example on one branch, the tip is brown, the middle is green, and then the part next to the trunk is brown. I have been watering it as I was told in the instructions, which is when I keep it outside I water everyday for ten minutes letting it soak in water. When I keep it inside, I water it every third day. I keep it outside in the sun during the day, but bring it in at night because it is very cold at night. I checked for mites and there don't appear to be any. The parts that are brown are very dry and brittle. I really don't want to lose my tree. HELP!!!! Carmela Andrade Albuquerque, NM

Answer: It could be because your juniper is too wet that you're getting the browning of the leaves. This time of year, they aren't growing much, so perhaps you're giving them too much water. Try cutting back on water a bit and misting the foliage daily. Also, contact the nursery where you bought the bonsai for more information.