The Q&A Archives: weeping Japanese cherry tree

Question: My weeping japanene cherry tree didn't bloom very well this year. Two years ago it was full, last year, not so much, and this year, not much at all. What should I do?

Answer: There are several possible causes for lack of bloom that I can think of. One possible reason is that the tree is still becoming established and needs to mature before it blooms fully. Another possibility is that it is planted in less than full sun; these trees really need full direct sun all day to bloom. Another is that it is being overfertilized (for instance planted in lawn that is heavily fertilized plus fertilizing the tree would be too much.) Another is that it is setting ample flower buds but that they are not surviving through the winter. Your zip code places you in zone 6, and if the tree is planted in an exposed or windy spot it may be too cold for the flower buds to survive. The winter cold issue depends on what specific kind of cherry you have, some are more winter hardy than others. Hope this information helps.