The Q&A Archives: "gnats": black flies; no-see-ums

Question: I realize that black flies can be several types, but how can I control them in the yard. When the dogs play or when we go into he yard they swarm around the face and are annoying. When the biting ones come out it's even worse. We pick up our yard clippings and try to make sure ther's no standing water avoiding food and breeding grounds. Whst can we spray or do to get rid of them?

Answer: Black flies and no see ums are really annoying but there is no way to permanently eliminate the pests. If you fog your yard with a pyrethreum you will kill those that are currently there, and their eggs, but a new population will eventually arrive and you'll need to treat your lawn again. Wish I had a real solution for you.