The Q&A Archives: bulbs and planting garden

Question: I am wanting to start planting but I know we are not out of the frost season yet so. I will wait on garden planting but I got some tulips around Easter and they are withering I left them in the pot they came in but should I stop watering them(let them dry out totally?) before I plant them in the ground for next year? Also want suggestion on keeping squirrels from eating them.THEY GOT LAST YEARS

Answer: You can cut off the spent flowers and stalk from your tulips but keep watering as long as the foliage is green. The leaves are collecting and transporting energy to the bulbs for next year's floral display. When the leaves die down completely you can stop watering and unpot the bulbs and plant them in your garden. After planting the bulbs cover over the soil with chicken wire or hardware cloth to keep the squirrels from digging them up, or before planting put each bulb into an oversized cage of chicken wire. When the bulb sprouts it will grow right through the holes in the chicken wire but the squirrels won't have access and won't be able to eat them. Good luck with your garden.