The Q&A Archives: Blue Hibiscus

Question: When and how should I prune my blue hibiscus shrub? It's about 6'x6' and producing gorgeous flowers. It should flower through the summer and fall. I'm interested in knowing how to prune back so as to create a fuller, more dense shrub.

Answer: If unpruned Alyogyne huegelii becomes a little sparse of foliage on lower branches, and may also become straggly. It can be pruned back quite hard after flowering, or frequently and lightly during the flowering season. Pruning results in a denser, more compact, and possibly more floriferous plant. It will throw out vigorous fast-growing shoots from old wood, thus enabling it to be kept down to a small compact shrub if desired. The main blooming period will be over by the first of August so prune it back then. Enjoy your blue hibiscus!