The Q&A Archives: petunias

Question: I live in Katy, Tx and have never planted petunias until this spring. In fact, I had never planted anything until last summer so I am learning as I go. The petunias look great now. They are planted in full sun. Will they really do well in the hot summer months of July and August through mid-Sept? Last summer, the only flowers that did well in this garden were the zinnias and the pentas.

Answer: The summer heat can really take a toll on plants, although petunias usually do well. You might also try planting salvia, periwinkles, purslane, portulaca, Lantana, Perennial Phlox, Plumbago, Rosemary and Verbena for additional color in your garden. They are all heat tolerant and thrive during the summer months in Texas.