The Q&A Archives: Crape Myrtle

Question: I live in Virginia Beach VA. I had a crape myrtle that I cut down a few years ago. It still puts out what I call suckers that are driving me crazy. How can I permanently get rid of it and the suckets?

Answer: As long as the roots are in the ground, your crape myrtle will try to regenerate itself. Cutting a tree or shrub down to ground level doesn't necessarily kill it. The best way to stop the suckering growth is to dig the roots out of the ground. Although there are some stump killers on the market, they take a very long time to kill out all the roots and in the process the roots will still send out suckers. You can have someone grind the stump and remove the roots, or you can dig them out yourself to stop the suckering growth. Good luck with your project.