The Q&A Archives: A lot of leaves

Question: I have several massive trees in my yard that produce a lot of fallen leaves in my yard come fall. What is an idea to do with these leaves so I dont make the same mistake I did last year and rake all of them into my fire pit. Now I have a wet pile of leaves that wont burn!!!

Answer: If you have the space you can compost the leaves. Just add some lawn clippings or other green material in with the leaves, toss in a shovelful of dirt and mix everything up. If you turn the compost pile on a regular basis the leaves will decompose and you'll end up with nice compost for your garden. If you don't have room to compost you might try shredding the leaves and using them as mulch. Or, you may have to bag them. Most cities and counties collect yard waste for composting - perhaps yours does, as well. I hope so!