The Q&A Archives: Arborvitae

Question: I planted a arborvitae tree in the front of my house last year. It does not get much sun. The back half is turning brown so I want to plant it in the full sun. What should I put in the soil to help it come back?

Answer: Arborvitae loves sunshine so moving yours to a sunnier site will help. If the back half is turning brown, it may have been damaged by winter winds. Trimming off a few inches will encourage healthy new growth. Arborvitaes like fast draining soils so if yours is slow to drain you can amend a large area with organic matter and then dig a hole and replant your arborvitae. Be sure to keep it watered well this summer to ensure the roots become established in their new home. Good luck with your landscape.