The Q&A Archives: Primroses in Alabama

Question: I recently visited Callaway Gardens in Georgia and they had some beautiful primroses planted. They had
jewel-like colors (red, purple, yellow). Oh!!! They were beautiful!!. I have never seen any before in any
of the nurseries I frequent in Alabama. The lady who owns the nursery I shop at the most had never even
heard of them. Could you give me some info on these plants. How do I grow them from seed (since I can't
buy them here), what are the conditions outside in which they will live if I am successful at seeding? I just
have to have some of these flowers in my yard if possible. Thanks in advance.

Answer: Primrose thrives in moist, acidic soil. They also enjoy weather a bit on the cool side, they aren't particularly fond of sweltering summers (they wilt very easily....I am in zone 6 and have a hard time with them). You can bet they are "babied" at Callaway! But, don't let me discourage you. If you like them that much by all means, give them a shot. You will have to "baby" them a bit. Try growing them in a shady spot in your yard where there is good air circulation. Be sure to water them well during those hot Alabama summer days. You can get seeds from Burpee at 1-800-888-1447. They have a Jewel Mix I bet you would like, has red, yellow, purple, pink, white.