The Q&A Archives: Overwintering butterfly bush

Question: How do you overwinter butterfly bushes in Detroit, MI. I am on my third butterfly bush. Also, how do you get rid of moles organically?

Answer: Butterfly bushes should be hardy in Detroit. Look at the site and be sure it is well-drained, gets full sun and is protected form winter winds. Then, look at the bush as a herbaceous perennial. Cut it back to the ground in the fall and mulch like crazy!If it doesn't's not hardy in your neck of the woods. Moles can be contolled with a new environnmentally friendlt product called Mole Med. It is based on the oil of the castor bean and moles hate the smell, but it won't hurt anyting in your yard, including you! Try finding it locally or ordering it from, Gardens Alive 5100 Schenley Pl. Lawrenceburg, IN 47025 812-537-8650