The Q&A Archives: Why are my plants turning yellow?

Question: We made a box garden this year & filled it with 3 truck loads of garden soil purchased from the localgarden center. Squash, cucumbers, peppers looked great at first, but now are turning yellow. Miracle Grow fertilizer being applied 1 x week. Watering daily. Should I test my soil? How?

Answer: The garden soil should be fine - but before you plant again next spring, amend the soil with copious amounts of organic matter to get it ready for planting. Organic matter will add nutrients and also facilitate good drainage. I think daily watering is excessive. If the soil is too moist it can actually suffocate the roots. Instead, apply enough water to soak the soil down to 10-12 inches. Allow the top of the soil to dry out a bit then stick your finger down into the soil. If it is still moist 3 inches below the surface, you won't need to water. If it is barely damp, it's time to water again. Once or twice a week (in hottest weather) is all you need to water your veggie garden. Good luck with your harvest!