The Q&A Archives: Establishing Annuals

Question: I am trying to grow a new flower garden but something is keeping moisture away from the roots, should I re-plant them deeper?

Answer: It's difficult to diagnose an exact problem from your question, but generally, when planting annuals from the store, you should try to plant them at the same level as they grew in the market pack or slightly deeper. Water them in well at planting. A two or three inch layer of mulch can help them retain soil moisture after planting, but they will still need at least an inch of water a week. When they are first planted, they need a little bit of extra water, especially if the weather turns hot. You might water every other day or so for the first week, then taper off to once a week.