The Q&A Archives: King Sago Palms

Question: I have 2 large king sago palms at the entrance to our south facing home. I just planted them last august.60% of the branches are yellow.What should I do?

Answer: King Sagos are some of the most adaptable and easiest plants to grow. They are also extremely slow growing. About all you can expect is three new sets of leaves and an increase of 1" (3 cm) of height and trunk diameter per year. Olde leaves may turn yellow from over watering or too much fertilizer; new leaves may turn yellow from excess fertilizer or poor soil conditions. You'll have to determine whether the old or the new leaves are yellow and whether or not you've overfertilized or over watered and then make corrections. In any case, once leaves turn yellow or brown, they should be removed from the plant.