The Q&A Archives: Ground Chip monks

Question: What do you recommend to control ground chip monks in my garden? I see the holes but rearely see them. They are currently eating my strawberry plants down to the roots.

Answer: Chipmunks seem to dig holes and eat bulbs such as tulip and crocus and will munch on fruits and berries and the occasional cucumber, but do not bother the majority of plants in my garden. They are difficult to deter. Some gardeners report success using repellents, either the commerical types or homemade sprays based on garlic and/or red pepper, some notice that a pet dog or cat helps. I simply place cylinders of hardware cloth around my strawberry plants and that keeps them from feasting on the berries. Hope it works for you, too.