The Q&A Archives: Flowering Vine for Shade

Question: I have a trellis in a shady area between my house and a pine tree. What type of vine could I plant? I would like a flowering vine -- would a trumpet vine work?

Answer: Unfortunately, trumpet vines (Campsis radicans) are really sun lovers, as are most of the flowering vines. From your description, I can't tell if your trellis is in full shade or partial shade, so if your trellis receives a half a day of sun the trumpet vine would probably bloom for you. This would also be true of the Goldflame Honeysuckle (Lonicera x heckrottii). Another possibility for a fairly shady spot is a clematis. These are lovely flowering vines and they will tolerate a good amount of shade and still bloom. Clematis tend to prefer a neutral soil ph, so you might check that and amend the soil accordingly prior to planting, if necessary.