The Q&A Archives: Removing Large Trees to Create a Vegetable Garden

Question: I have a large tree I need to remove to put in a vegetable garden in my backyard. It's about 60 feet tall. Can you give me step by step directions how to do this? Jean Whittington Hillsboro, TX

Answer: First of all, I'd recommend you get a professor tree service in to take down the 60' tree. Unless you or a friend is a professional tree surgeon, cutting down a tree of that size can be very dangerous to you, your house and property. Ask around for arecommended tree service in your area. Once the tree is down and stump ground up, then I'd turn over the soil, removing as many as the roots as possible, and start amending the soil with organic matter such as hay, straw, leaves, manures... and also consider just growing cover crops on the soil the first year to build it up before planting any vegetables.