The Q&A Archives: Mandevilletrellis

Question: I purchased a Mandeville trellis on impulse.I wanted a clematis,is this something I have to up for winter,I live in zone 6.Any info would be great. Thanks

Answer: Mandevilla is a tender plant so you can grow yours outdoors in the spring and summer, then cut it back and take it indoors over the winter months. It won't survive your winter weather outdoors. Many gardeners treat them as annuals and replace them every spring but if you'd like to overwinter yours indoors you only need to cut it back to encourage new growth and set it in a brightly lit spot such as near a window. It may not flower over the winter but it can go back outdoors in the spring and should bloom all spring and summer for you. Enjoy your new plant!