The Q&A Archives: Type of groundcover for steep hillside

Question: Hello,
I am from southern Minnesota. I live on a steep hill and have 3 areas that I need to plant some sort of groundcover to preserve the hillside. I do not have a lot of time to be gardening so I need something that is very easy to care for, grows rapidly and is self sustaining. A bonus would be if it would flower. Any suggestions. Thank you for your help,
Jillian Smith

Answer: A few you might consider for sun include low growing junipers, vinca minor daylilies, Barrenstrawberry (Waldsteinia fragarioides), Fleeceflower(Polygonum cuspidatum compactum), Chokeberry (Aronia melanocarpa), Crownvetch (Coronilla varia)and Phlox subulata. A little soil preparation will give your new plants a good start - when you dig planting holes, add a little compost and water each plant well. Be sure to water them all summer so they will establish their root systems. If you can't water regularly over the summer months, consider planting them in early fall when natural rainfall will do the job for you. Good luck with your garden!