The Q&A Archives: My neighbors lawn

Question: Our lawns are adjoining. How can I keep his lawn of dandelions & crabgrass from crossing over to mine. The little yellow flowers are already starting to spread as well as the light green crabgrass. My lawn is healthy and his is not. Would cutting his part help at this point? I don't want to put anything down that will kill my grass. Please help. I live on Long Island in NY.

Answer: A physical barrier such as a 6" concrete edging or a line of bricks can help keep creeping weeds out - or you might offer to treat your neighbors lawn with weed killers the same time you apply them to your lawn. Certainly cutting down dandelions before the flowers develop into seed heads will stop the spread so if you have permission, I'd go ahead and mow them down. Good luck with your lawn!