The Q&A Archives: trunk of the tree's bark got torn by deer

Question: a 7'weeping cherry tree'trunk got torn by the deer,any special thing I can wrap/repair the trunk,so it won't expose beneath the bark. Thank

Answer: The answer to your question really depends upon how large the damaged area is, and how deep it is. If only the bark is scraped off a small area, it should heal on its own without any intervention. If the bark and the dark layer beneath the bark (cambium) is removed from a large area, you might want to shield the wound from the sunshine until it begins to heal. I would not suggest using any of the commercially available tree wound products. They look like tar and are painted on. These products can actually retard the healing process and quite often will hold excess moisture against the trunk which can cause rot. To protect the damaged area, you can safely use a paper tree wrap. This product is available in rolls and looks a little like brown crepe paper. It expands as the bark expands and will eventually weather away if you forget to remove it at the end of a year. Hope this information is helpful!