The Q&A Archives: What Size Plants?

Question: Every year I buy 6 packs of annuals and perennials but a lot of them die. Which would be best: the
smaller plants like 6-packs, or bigger plants like 1/2gal or quart size plants? I also have a very big slug problem. I've tried poisons in the past, but they just keep coming back. What do I do ?

Answer: Annuals growing in 6-packs are probably the least expensive of all the plants in the nursery. Annuals grow fast, bloom, and then die at the end of the season. Perennial plants are generally sold in 4-6" inch pots, or in gallon containers. The smaller perennials are cheaper than those in large containers, so purchase the smallest plants to save yourself some money. Perennials live for three or more years, and they'll spend their first season in your garden getting ready to grow into large, healthy plants. They may even bloom the first year, but are sure to bloom and grow by the second year. Slugs can be a real problem in the garden because they like to hide in cool, moist places during the day and feed at night. If you have groundcover, boards, or other debris in the garden, they'll hide there. You can go out at night with a flashlight and pick the slugs, or put a dampened terra-cotta pot upside-down in your garden and prop it up with a stick or stone, just far enough off the ground for slugs to enter. They'll collect on the sides of the pot in the morning and you can scrape them out and dispose of them. Be sure to clean the trap out everyday!