The Q&A Archives: wine and roses wiegelas

Question: I live in Indianapolis ,IN, and planted a pair if wine and roses wiegelas in the recommended location and what i beleieve to be good soil..still after two years they don't seem to be growing very much, and still have not leafed out completely at this late date..please help!

Answer: Striking for both its rich, dark foliage and the contrast of the foliage and flowers. 'Wine & Roses' won a Gold Medal from the Pennsylvania Horticulture Society and a Silver Medal from the Boskoop Royal Horticulture Society. Wine and Roses grows 3-4' tall and wide in full sun to partial shade and blooms in late spring and early summer. It can suffer some winter die-back, but recovers quickly and blooms reliably. At this point I will suggest you prune your plant back to encourage healthy new growth. Be sure to water deeply once each week and after new growth begins feed your shrub with a general purpose 10-10-10 fertilizer. Best wisehs with your plant!