The Q&A Archives: hydranga blooms

Question: I have 2 small hydranga pants that were given to me in pots as a gift 3 years ago when I received them they had blooms on them I then planted them in my garden and haven't had a bloom since that time.
They lose their leaves each winter and grow them back in spring but no blooms for the past 2 years. What am I doing wrong any advise would be appreciated. Thanks

Answer: Big leaf hydrangeas produce flowers on new shoots which develop on old wood. If your hydrangeas die down to the ground during the winter months, or if you prune them all the way down, there will be no old wood from which new flowering shoots can develop. They may never bloom for you! Endless Summer hydrangeas bloom on either new or old wood so even if they die down to ground level every year you will still get loads of blooms. Maybe it's time to replace your non-blooming hydrangeas?