The Q&A Archives: Possible Causes for Undeveloped Vegetables

Question: I have had very poor results with my garden in South Jersey, the "garden state". My strawberries are often eaten before I can get a second picking. My onions never form bulbs or completely disappear. My beans and peas gave only slight results and yellowed quickly. My carrots are being eaten by something and never grow more than an inch long. The only thing that seems to produce are my tomatoes and peppers. I had a great garden when I lived in Ohio. What's wrong in New Jersey? Sally

Answer: It sounds like your vegetable garden has a fertility problem. I'd put a lot of effort into building the soil up with organic matter such as manures, grass clippings, hay, straw and leaves. Also, consider growing a cover crop in part of the garden thisyear such as buckwheat and tilling it under before flowering. Also, have a soil test done at your local Cooperative Extension Office to determine if you need to add any major nutrients such as N, P, or K.