The Q&A Archives: whitefly

Question: I have try everything on the shelf. But whitefly won't die on my tomato plants and other plants. NEED HELP

Answer: Whiteflies are extremely difficult to control. Yellow sticky traps are effective, but you'll need to place several all over the garden, preferrably one on or near each affected plant. If you have pets, you'll want to use something that won't bother them. You can spray insecticidal soap when whiteflies are resting - early morning or late afternoon is best. Or, you can spray with pyrethrin. Pyrethrin is an organic pesticide made from chrysanthemums. There are also chemical controls for whiteflies. The most important aspect of controlling these pests is to be diligent about spraying (follow label directions). Repeat sprays will take care of the adults, nymphs and eggs. These biocontrols won't harm beneficial insects. Best wishes with your whitefly eradication project!