The Q&A Archives: Gardening Books And Web Sites

Question: I am new to gardening and would appreciate any advice
on what kind of books I can buy or check out from the library, or even any websites that could help me to identify what is growing in my small back yard.

Answer: Your question is a tall order as gardening is a diverse subject, but I'll suggest some great places to start you off on a lifelong quest for gardening education!

The book "Perennial Garden Color" by William Welch (published by Taylor Publishing Co.; 1550 West Mockingbird Lane; Dallas, Texas 75235, and available through your local bookstore) is a great guide for southerners trying to find information that fits our soils and climate. "Florida, My Eden" by Frederic B. Stresau (available from Arborist Supply House Inc.; P.O. Box 23607; Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33307; (305) 561-9527) is another great guide, especially for tropical and subtropical plants. "Southern Landscape Plants" by Neil Odenwald and James Turner (available from Claitor's Publishing Division; P.O.Box 261333; Baton Rouge, LA 70826-1333 (800)274-1403) is an indespensible reference on a wide variety of plant materials, geared to their landscape attributes.

You have obviously found the NGA website! Some other great sites to visit are:
The Florida Agriculture Information Retrieval System site:
and Texas A&M's Horticulture site: