The Q&A Archives: Earwigs under my pots on my Deck.

Question: I live in a condo and every year I plant pots the fit over the railing with geraniums and another flower that trails (green with little white flowers...can't remember the name). Not long after I plant them the earwigs show up and in the morning if I mover the pots there are dozens of earwigs that scurry out. What can I do? I spray with insecticides but is ther any long term solution? It should also be noted that we back up to a wooded creek area.

Answer: Earwigs are one of those semi-good guys that sometimes become a nuisance (kind of like moles). Although they occasionally chomp on our flowers, they also have the habit of chomping on aphids and certain pest larvae. You can trap earwigs by laying dampened newspapers in the garden. Earwigs will crawl into the folds to hide and in the morning you can gather up the papers, earwigs and all, and destroy them. Or, you can make traps out of tuna or cat food cans, fill with about an inch of water, and float a quarter inch of vegetable oil on top. The earwigs will be attracted to the oil, crawl in and drown. Empty the cans as needed.