The Q&A Archives: Removing Quackgrass

Question: I have two raised flower beds, southern exposure, that have been invaded by quackgrass. Both contain some flowers and bulbs that I would hate to loose. Any suggestions? Dave Trenton

Answer: Quackgrass is a tough weed to remove! Other than diligently pulling the roots out each year, there's not a lot you can do in a perennial flower bed. Herbicides would harm the perennials and not necessarily kill all the quackgrass and mulches would slow the quackgrass, but also stop the perennials from fully growing. Wait until a good rain, when the soil is moist, go through the bed with a cultivator and pull as much of the roots out as possible. If you do this a few times a year, each year, theneventually the perennials will choke out the remaining grasses. It's not an easy solution, but effective if you keep with it.