The Q&A Archives: How can I save my aloe vera plant?

Question: I exposed my aloe vera plants to the sun too quickly and burned all their leaves. All the leaves are brown and not succulent at all. Did I kill the plant? Do these leaves need to be cut off? Can I fix this somehow?

Answer: Aloe vera usually grows very well in full sunshine but if you moved your plant from a shady area into the sun too rapidly, the tissues could certainly become sunburned. At this point, wait until new leaves are produced, which will be much more tolerant of a full sun exposure. When your plant begins to develop healthy new foliage you can cut off the sunburned leaves. Until then, just leave them on the plant. They may not recover but as long as they are attached to the plant they are providing food to the plants through the process of photosynthesis. If they wither down to nothing, you can prune them off the plant.