The Q&A Archives: Quickest Growing Veggies

Question: I am from the Seattle area where the climate is very cool and rainy. As a school project we must grow vegetables from seeds in a small garden plot and make a profit of at least one cent. We have untill June 15 to accomplish this. I would like to grow as many vegetables as possible during this short period of time. What veggies to you recommend planting? I should mention our garden plot is directly under a tree (luck of the draw Smiling and we receive very little sunlight. Please respond as soon as possible for we will need to get the seeds. Thank you for your help,

Answer: Wow! Not much time to accomplish your goal. Most seeds take 7-14 days to germinate, and another 4 weeks to grow before they're considered seedlings of transplant size. How about growing radishes (the seeds only take 3-4 days to sprout), and lettuce? Neither of these plants requires full sunshine, and both will produce something edible in 30 days time. Good luck with your project!