The Q&A Archives: Low Light Indoor Plants

Question: I live in an area that is heavily wooded and I do not have enough light in my living and dining room to grow most plants -- I tried coleus but it got very thin and leggy. I hate to think that I'd have to revert to artificial plants--

Answer: There are a few houseplants that will survive in poorly-lit areas: Aglaonema, Aspidistra and Asplenium. None of these plants will produce flowers, but they are attractive in their own right. You may want to consider a spot light or other source of artificial light to brighten a dark corner, and turn it into a tropical forest. With additional lighting you can have plants that bloom at various times of the year, thereby brightening your living space with interesting texture and color.